National News

Report: Bus crash kills 33 near Egyptian resort

By The Associated Press

CAIRO - Egypt's state news agency says a head-on collision of two tourist buses near a popular Red Sea resort has killed 33 people and injured 41.

MENA says the accident occurred early Friday about 50 kilometres (30 miles) from Sharm el-Sheikh in Egypt's Sinai Peninsula. The buses were coming from opposite directions and collided head-on on the main road. The cause of the accident was not immediately known.

Khaled Abu Hashem, chief of the local emergency services, says four foreigners — a 20-year-old Ukranian woman, a Yemeni man and a Saudi woman and child — were among those injured but that their injuries were light.

Traffic accidents are common in Egypt due to badly maintained roads and disregard of traffic laws. Road accidents killed about 13,000 people in Egypt last year.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

You might like ...

Toll of Filipino commandos killed in rebel clash rises to 43
 
Suspended sentence for toilet camera operator
 
Fast arrives to talk free trade in Ukraine
Scott settles for 3rd at B.C. Scotties
 
Familiar faces appointed to the Northwest Community College board table
 
Naramata Centre closure has big impact on community
Assessment starts for Squamish LNG plant, pipeline
 
Harrop had myriad other names
 
Warming up for Coldsmoke

Community Events, January 2015

Add an Event

Read the latest eEdition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Jan 22 edition online now. Browse the archives.