National News

Police investigate threat related to Rob Ford

By The Canadian Press

TORONTO - Police were dispatched to Toronto city hall Monday after Mayor Rob Ford said a threat was made to bomb the building unless he resigned, but no evacuation was ordered.

Toronto police spokesman Const. David Hopkinson said officers were sent to the building after city hall security informed them of the threat that morning. Police earlier said they were first notified Sunday night.

Hopkinson said the building was not being evacuated and couldn't confirm whether a bomb sweep had been done.

Ford announced the bomb threat to reporters. He said the email was sent to his brother, Coun. Doug Ford, on Sunday night.

The mayor held up a copy the typo-ridden note, which says there has been "chaos" since Ford returned from rehab last month.

"He has 12 hours to vacate otherwise city hall will blow. I have already set up explosive around."

Ford said he wasn't phased by the threat.

"I'm moving on. Business as usual. Obviously the police will be around and the police (will) handle this from here on in," he said.

Ford also defended going public about the email.

"When I get something this serious sent to my brother's office and to the deputy mayor's office it's only proper that the mayor of the city addresses this."

Coun. Paula Fletcher said there is a protocol dealing with threats, but that it doesn't restrict officials from revealing them. But she said she hopes Ford knew the threat wasn't real before he announced it.

"I hope he's followed what I would call the good rules, or good common sense. And since we're still here in the building I'm going to assume it was just an angry letter from a disturbed individual."

Toronto spokeswoman Wynna Brown said in an email Monday afternoon that police "are conducting a thorough investigation in co-ordination with city hall security."

The controversial mayor has faced numerous calls for his resignation amid admissions of drug use, alcohol addiction and various instances of being caught on tape making offensive comments.

But he's brushed all them aside and is running in the October 27th election to remain in the mayor's chair.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

You might like ...

Castlegar Winterfest cancelled
 
Wanted man sought
 
Meet Nelson’s next mayor
Missing boy located
 
Gitxsan should return to court
 
New Riders pledge support for KCR
Up to 180 units needed, Nelson housing study finds
 
Outgoing Nelson councillors bid farewell
 
Reeling in the big one

Community Events, November 2014

Add an Event


Read the latest eEdition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Nov 20 edition online now. Browse the archives.