National News

US officials: US general killed in Afghan attack

By Robert Burns, The Associated Press

WASHINGTON - U.S. officials say a U.S. two-star general was killed in an apparent insider attack by a member of the Afghan security forces.

The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the information by name ahead of an official announcement.

The attacker wounded approximately 15 people, of which roughly half were Americans, one official said.

A man dressed in an Afghan army uniform opened fire on foreign troops at Camp Qargha, a base west of the capital, Kabul. Among the wounded was a German brigadier general.

Gen. Mohammad Zahir Azimi, a spokesman for Afghanistan's Defence Ministry, said a "terrorist in an army uniform" opened fire on both local and international troops. Azimi said the shooter had been killed.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

You might like ...

Turning on the Christmas tree lights in Barriere
 
National pastimes dominate news: study
 
Can identifying mental illness stop terror attacks?
Tense council Monday night
 
Marilyn Manson coming to SOEC
 
RDEK Directors officially sworn in
AP Exclusive: Sydney hostage planned daring escape
 
Port Edward to receive $150 million from agreement
 
Burtynsky and Carr exhibition at the Kelowna Art Gallery

Community Events, December 2014

Add an Event


Read the latest eEdition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Dec 11 edition online now. Browse the archives.