National News

Daycare evacuated after carbon monoxide leak

By The Canadian Press

SAINT-EUSTACHE, Que. - Authorities say at least five children were overcome by carbon monoxide at their daycare in St-Eustache, north of Montreal.

A city spokeswoman says that 72 children and about 10 daycare workers were taken to hospital as a preventive measure.

Stephanie Bouchard says the five youngsters experienced vomiting and headaches at Les petits explorateurs daycare centre today.

Bouchard says the children were transported by school bus to the local hospital.

The city says that all parents were advised and the leak was contained within the daycare building.

The St-Eustache fire department was at the scene, trying to determine the exact cause.

It is unknown whether a functioning carbon monoxide detector was installed at the school.

Carbon monoxide is a colourless, odourless, and tasteless gas that is toxic to humans in high concentrations.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

You might like ...

Secret Service boosts security outside White House
 
Florida town knew shooter had troubled past
 
UPDATE: RCMP confirm family connection in fatal accident, but not releasing names
King of the Koots
 
North Coast athletes suiting up around North America
 
Glade and Gilpin: Doukhobor communities with English names
UPDATED: Alleged Kootenay bank robber tries to escape
 
Ancient remains reburied at Slocan Pool
 
Blessed with a new, young minister

Community Events, September 2014

Add an Event

Read the latest eEdition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Sep 18 edition online now. Browse the archives.