National News

2nd diver dies in search of South Korean ferry

By The Associated Press

SEOUL, Korea, Republic Of - A civilian diver died Friday during the search for people still believed trapped inside a sunken South Korean ferry, the second diver's death in the six-week operation.

Government and civilian divers were mobilized after the ferry sank on April 16, leaving more than 300 people dead or missing.

A boom and a moan were heard via communication devices then fellow divers pulled the man to the surface as he fell unconscious, government task force spokesman Ko Myung-seok told a televised briefing.

The diver was bleeding on his face, received CPR and was taken to a hospital on a helicopter but was declared dead there, Ko said. The man whose surname was Lee was 46. His exact cause of his death wasn't known.

Ko said Lee was cutting open parts of the ship exterior to make searches easier. No bodies have been retrieved since May 21 as heavy objects like desks and cabinets have made it difficult for divers to navigate through unsearched parts of the ship, according to task force officials.

Since the sinking, 288 bodies have been recovered but 16 people are still missing. Only 172 people survived.

A 53-year-old civilian diver died earlier this month after becoming unconscious during a search attempt. He was pulled to the surface after losing communication five minutes into the search.

Officials have said they won't lift up the ship until family members of the missing people approves amid worries that works to hoist the ship may lead to damaging the bodies of those people.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

You might like ...

Election 2014: TNRD Area ‘O’ candidate Mike Fennell
 
TNRD and Little Fort Rec Society finally sign operating agreement on community hall
 
City of Fernie Councillor Candidate: Willard Ripley runs for another term in the City of Fernie
City expresses concerns with recycling dropoff
 
Interact’s Cambodia experience
 
LNG science tour attracting large attendance
A messy start to 24/7 recycling in Prince Rupert
 
One last holdup on B.C. railway tracks
 
Prince Rupert council candidates face the public at first forum

Community Events, October 2014

Add an Event

Read the latest eEdition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Oct 30 edition online now. Browse the archives.