National News

Stuckless in court on remaining charges

By The Canadian Press

TORONTO - The man at the centre of the Maple Leaf Gardens scandal faces trial today on charges related to the sexual abuse of young boys decades ago.

Gordon Stuckless pleaded guilty last month to 100 charges stemming from the sexual abuse of 18 young victims between 1965 and 1985.

But he pleaded not guilty to another eight charges, including buggery and assault, related to five of those victims during that same time period.

Stuckless will be sentenced on his plea following the trial.

The Crown is expected to request a dangerous offender assessment for Stuckless, but his lawyer says it's not warranted since his client has been living a "very law-abiding life."

Stuckless pleaded guilty in 1997 to sex assaults on two dozen boys while he was an usher at Maple Leaf Gardens.

He was forced back in the spotlight last year when police announced fresh charges against him in alleged incidents dating back decades.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

You might like ...

Trump Plaza shuts down; 4th AC casino to close
 
Wild times in Terrace, B.C.
 
Eagles grounded by Castlegar Rebels
Hear it in real time
 
Flurry of bear sightings in Penticton
 
Justice minister denies new Okanagan jail will create more police work
Coleman plays down Petronas LNG threat
 
Mount Polley dike completed, investigators move in
 
Toasting the family farm: Kelowna says goodbye to The Grape Patch

Community Events, October 2014

Add an Event

Read the latest eEdition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Oct 2 edition online now. Browse the archives.